What is a superbill?
Using Superbills for Reimbursement
- A superbill is a form completed by practitioners that allows patients to be reimbursed directly from their health insurance companies.
- A superbill does not guarantee that an insurance provider will pay for the services provided. Each insurance plan is different, and it is your responsibility to contact your insurance provider and find out exactly will be covered.
How do I find out what my insurance company will reimburse for an out-of-network provider?
- Call the customer service phone number listed on your insurance card.
- Ask, “I want to work with an out-of-network mental health provider how much will you reimburse me?”
- Ask, “What is the best way to submit my claim for reimbursement with a superbill?”
- Be sure that your insurance plan mental health benefits are clear to you!
Be aware that should you choose to submit a superbill, you are releasing medical information that is protected by law. This means you are waiving some of your rights to privacy and confidentiality. It is standard for your insurance company to keep a record of your diagnoses stated on the superbill as part of your permanent medical file.